Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mi Did A Criev Sum Curri Guot (I Was Craving Some Curried Goat)

So yesterday, I had a strong craving for some Jamaican curried goat. Now, I've never cooked curried goat before but one can say I'm an expert witness and I can testify to the wonderful explosions of one's taste buds once this delectable fusion of flavor makes contact. I've only been in the DMV (DC, MD and VA) area for seven months so I'm still trying to find the Jamaican watering holes for foodies such as myself. Even though I've lived in the US for over 10 years, I've only experienced GREAT curried goat twice. Once was at a Jamaican wedding in Atlanta, GA, the other was surprisingly at a Golden Krust franchise in The Bronx, NY. You must be thinking, "Only Twice in almost 11 years?" How dismal! And I'd agree with you because for some reason, there's a disconnect in flavors when it comes to either stewed oxtail or curried goat. It's a hit or miss with these dishes here. Anyway so back to my craving.

The last time I ate Yaad fuud (Jamaican food) outside my house was a couple weeks ago when I found a Golden Krust west of Baltimore, MD. I remembered being conflicted as what I wanted—jerk chicken or curried goat. I settled on the jerk chicken with curried goat gravy on my rice and peas. To my surprise, it triggered the very memory of the Golden Krust in The Bronx. So I decided to go there last night to hopefully fulfill my craving.


Oh, I forgot to mention that this location is 1/2 hr away. There're very few moments that I'll actually drive over 20 minutes to get food especially if I haven't eaten in almost 7 hrs. But my hope was 1. to relive a magically moment and 2. hopefully find a place that meets my high expectations. Unfortunately, I was disappointed!! It looked and smelled good but the home-grown spices were missing. The scotch bonnet pepper infusion was missing. The Jamaican aromatics were missing. The meat itself was fatty and a bit bland.

As I said before, these dishes are a "hit or miss", but I wouldn't count this place out just yet. Their Jerk Chicken and curried tofu are very good. So they're not dead to me ;-). Hopefully one day, my craving for authentic Yaad fuud will be quenched.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Jamdung Eats by Deedré Cousins is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.